Back in the good 'ol USC days we lived Downtown... and we hated living there. There was no close grocery store, only a handful of decent bars and restaurants, and we felt so alienated from all the 'cool' people on the west side.
Since then Downtown is like a whole new world (cue flying carpet + Aladdin + Jasmine). There's a snazzy Ralphs, LALive, inhabitants other than USC & FIDM students, and tons of great restaurants and bars seem to be opening every day.
Here's the low down on a few new spots that are coming to Downtown this year (writing low-down makes me feel like a gangsta):
* FIRST & HOPE (710 W. 1st Sreet), Opening March/April 2010.
Arc Deco Styled 1940s Supper Club with Old Fashioned Drinks
* BIG WANGS DOWNTOWN (8th and Grand), Opening Soon.
Same cheezy bar as in Hollywood.
* LOFT BAR (451 S. Main Street), Opening May/June 2010.
Huge 6277 sq ft. pool hall and bar, full liquor.
* LAS PERLAS (103 E. 6th Street), Opening Mid February 2010
Tequila, Mezcal, and Mexican Cerveza Bar
* LAZY OX CANTEEN (241 S. Pedro Street), Opened Dec. 2009
Little Tokyo 'Casual Dining Spot', everything under $25, Wine/Beer.
Drink Up Downtown.